Thursday 6 March 2014

GET OFF YA PHONE!

WARNING this is a rant. 

This generation kills me. 

My generation.

Seriously. Can you get off your phone for just a minute. 

When did we become so information obsesses. So needy. So addicted to our smart phones that we feel like we are missing apart of ourselves if we leave it at home or God forbid the battery goes flat while we are out. 

This is not what I intended to write about. But as I sit here in a community space trying to pass a couple of hours while my oldest son it at kindergarten, too far and too impractical to go home, so instead I sit here and write. As I open my screen the waitress catches my eye. There is a window that looks out into the community space from the cafe. She has her back turned to her customers, head down and intently looking and tapping away at that little screen. And what erks me is that I'm pretty sure her employer is not paying her to check her messages. Can't you wait another hour to reply until you go on lunch break.

When I was in year 9 I begged my parents to let me get a mobile phone, you know one with real buttons not a touch screen, no internet access and if I was lucky a couple of ancient games in black and grey screen. And then all of a sudden EVERYONE had a mobile. and we were taking it to school, sneaking it in the pocket of our unflattering A frame checkered school dress, willing for a text to come through. Oh how times have changed. I cannot imagine being a high school teacher now and having this distraction in class. 

Ugh and there she is again tap tap tapping away. And again. All in the space of 30 minutes. 

And here's to prove sometimes I can't live without my smart phone wither. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :D