Wednesday 17 October 2012

LEEK TART

I have so many eggs at the moment! I wanted to make something simple with them.



I also had another leek from the garden that needed to be used so I created this recipe.



INGREDIENTS

Pastry:

1 1/2 C plain flour
1/4 shortening or butter (I used shortening as I had some leftover that I needed to use)
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 tbs cream
2 tbs milk (or add as required)

Filling:
1 leek diced
2 tbs butter
3 eggs
200 ml cream
50 g coppa, parma ham. prosciutto, bacon or ham diced (i used coppa as that's what I had on hand)
50 g tasty cheese grated with a little extra for the top
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 180C For the pastry rub the fat into the flour once this resembles breadcrumbs add the salt, egg and cream, if needed as milk as required until you have a smooth dough.



Be careful not to overwork the dough otherwise you will have a tough party case.



Today I was lazy and didn't let my pastry rest, but I'll share a trick with you so that your pastry won't shrink in the oven.



Roll out your pastry and fill your tart tin and tuck it into the corners, but don't cut off the overhang instead tuck it around the outside of the case.



Don't forget to prick holes is the base with a fork like I did!



Blind bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly and with your rolling pin roll over the top to break off excess pastry! SIMPLE!
 


To make filling fry the leeks in the butter over low heat until lovely and soft. 


If you like also fry you chosen meat (or leave out for a vegetarian option). Combine eggs, cream seasoning and some of the cheese and give it a whisk. 


Once leeks are cooked place over tart case and then layer over diced meat pour over egg and cream mix and top with remaining cheese. 


Place in oven for 15-20 minutes until eggs are just set and cheese is nice and golden. 


This is a great light lunch and would be lovely with a simple green salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :D