Monday 29 October 2012

SHEPHERD'S PIE

I'm trying to forever change my menu and try and endeavour to NEVER cook the same thing twice! Yep thats right! No wonder I'm often baffled as to what to cook for dinner! So I was thinking for the next month (and maybe more) I will post the recipe of what I am cooking for dinner!

So tonight it is shepherd's pie (or is it cottage pie I never know the difference?) with homegrown carrots!



INGREDIENTS

500g premium mince beef
4 medium carrots diced or grated
1 onion diced
4 cloves of garlic crushed
750ml homemade stock I used a dark chicken because that's what i had just made but you can definitely used beef! (if you can't make your own buy the liquid stuff *please please read the ingredient list* and please please not the *insert rude word here* cubes/powder with all the artificial flavours colours preservatives and God only knows what else!!!!)
pepper to taste
mash potato (or a combination of potato and sweet potato or any other veggie you like)
grated cheese to top around 50-100g



Sweat off the onion and garlic and carrot until soft and try not to colour too much.



Remove from pan. Fry mince meat breaking it up as much as you can. Season with pepper only (as the stock will reduce and can be quite salty. Taste at the end to see if you need more salt.)



Add the stock and reduce down until you have a nice gravy (should take 30 - 45 mins)





While stock is reducing start boiling the potatoes  to make the mash.


I left the skin on the baby potatoes that I mashed.


 I needed to add a couple of pinches of salt to the reduced stock and mince mix. Place in the bottom of a baking dish.


Top with the mash and grated cheese.


Place under the broiler until golden brown. It should take 5-10 minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :D