Monday 13 May 2013

WEEKLY TALLY - NUMBER 16

The garden is growing well with a few more things ripening to be picked soon. Good news I found a couple of local food swaps, which I will be attending in the next couple of weeks with blogs to follow. I have been looking for food swaps for quite a while and then stumbled across these. Basically you take your excess produce and swap it with other peoples excess produce!

3 eggs
143 grams parsley
230 grams capsicum

TOTAL 3 EGGS AND 373 GRAMS OF FOOD

6 comments:

  1. Nothing like home grown Capsicum, sweeter and crunchier, also it go's with almost anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely, although the ones my son picked last week green were quite bitter, any ideas on why that would have happened?

      Delete
    2. That actually puzzles me also, i dont know how capsicums stay green for supermarkets and fruit shops, but there sure is a difference in prices compared to red/orange/yellow. While i've been waiting for mine to grow, i had to buy 'Bulls horn' shaped capsicums for stir fries or salads, because of major price fluctuations.
      I guess the only way to see if a green type is ready, is to go by size or time (from first fruit formation), sorry I'm not much help.
      I hope you kept the seeds anyway, for next season. take care.

      Delete
    3. Yes that's true, mine always start to turn red once they come inside if they were picked green, I'm sure Monsanto could answer this question for us! I haven't kept any seeds as I have a few varieties (and a huge stockpile), and last year my capsicum survived winter so i am hoping this will happen again!

      Delete
  2. I got bitter capsicums from my sister's garden too and they were small. Perhaps the hot and dry weather this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it was the weather! The red ones are good and some of the green ones too. Maybe this one was particularly under ripe...

      Delete

Please leave a comment :D