Friday 9 November 2012

BEER AND ONION GRAVY

Today I intended to make a Moroccan beef tagine, but after reading the recipe (something I don;t really do i just look at the ingredients list and use that as a guide) I found out that it should be marinated over night or a couple of hours at least. As it's made with stewing meat I needed those couple of hours for the meat to break down into soft and tender loveliness. So while the meat is marinating for tomorrow night, I made steak and veggies with an AMAZING beer and onion gravy. It was so luscious and sweet and tasty mmmm we both ended up getting bread to mop up the rest. My hubby hates it when I steal a precious beer out of the fridge to cook with, so when he came home from a long and late nights work, he wasn't too impressed when he saw a beer on the counter ready to be sacrificed. His last words were 'that was so worth sacrificing one of my beers for'.

INGREDIENTS
1 knob butter
3 onions sliced thinly
salt and pepper
1 1/2 tbs sugar
1 tbs flour
200 mls beer (I used an ale)
300 mls chicken stock

Caramelize the onion in the butter, sugar and salt and pepper on low until soft and slightly colored  This will take about 10 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook out for 1 minute. Add beer and stir well. De-glaze steak cooking pan with chicken stock and pour into onion mixture. Cook for 10 minute, while steak is resting. It should have thickened up, be lovely and glossy with a sweetness as well as a savoriness to it. Goes beautifully with steak and mash. 

the picture isn't amazing, but the GRAVY was!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :D