Thursday 19 April 2012

HOMEMADE SOURDOUGH OAT BREAD

I buy this amazing sour dough oat bread from my local organic shop and at $6.50 a loaf which makes for an expensive sandwich! I love the texture of the bread and being oat it lowers blood sugar! Just what someone needs with a family history of diabetes.



 For Easter my sister gave me a jar of sour dough starter which she made after watching this clip on you tube. And below that is my starter.



Starter bubbling away!
starter bubbling away

I thought I would try and replicate the bread that I buy. This is a no knead bread. So so easy, just place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined! 




For the dough:

3.5C oat flour (i made this my self by putting the oats in a regular blender and pulsing giving the blender a little shake until i had a powder.
1C plain flour
1/2C sour dough starter
2C tepid water
1 tsp salt
2 tsp molasses sugar or 1 tsp molasses

Resting
Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined. Allow to sit at room temperature for 8-12 hours. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 45 minutes or until ready. Tap the bottom of loaf and it should sound hollow. My sister gave my mum a tip which she passed onto me, which was to allow the dough to rise in the bowl and 1 hour before baking to transfer the dough into an oiled bread pan as this prevents the dough from sticking to the tin.
Rising for the last hour in tin
baking away

The finished product was pretty light but not as light as the store bought. It had a great crust. It had an oatey flavor which some people may not like and didn't have the chewiness that i was after. But all in all not a bad outcome for the 1st batch.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :D