Friday 27 July 2012

HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING

I LOVE MEXICAN FOOD! My first job was in a Mexican restaurant, stemming after my stint in work experience i was nearly 15. My boss could see my passion for food and cooking, so she allowed me in the kitchen. I would cook fajitas, tacos, nachos (we had these awesome ones that stood up not lay flat, and we were only 1 of 3 restaurants in Victoria that serves them this way) burritos, enchiladas, quesidillas, toquitos, and many more Mexican goodies! I learnt a lot in my time working here, I thought  taco meat was made with mince, oh so wrong! I was also taught to use both hands in the kitchen, what a valuable lesson! So i have been searching for years and years to find out what meat she used in her tacos. I came across a recipe for pulled beef and I adapted it for my Mexican meat. You can use chuck/casserole beef, brisket or skirt steak to get the desired effect.

My Mexican Pulled Beef
TACO SEASONING - I use organic spices and herbs. You can usually get them from your local organic shop.

1 tbs chili powder (I like things HOT but if you family doesn't half this dose)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder or flakes
1/1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (i like things HOT but if your family doesn't please omit)

Mexican Seasoning
Mix together! I have been know to times this recipe by many so I have a stock pile on hand for a quick and easy dinner.

There are so many way's to use this powder, here are some of my suggestions

- Fry a couple of chicken breasts cut into strips, once coloured nicely add the spice mix, toast. Add a can of tomatoes and beans. Eat this as is or with rice. You can wrap in a burrito, enchilada, use it in a taco.

- Make frijoles (re-fried beans) by frying an onion and some garlic toast half the spices, add a can of red kidney beans and half a tin of tomatoes, roughly mash. Add a couple of tablespoons of roux (equal parts flour and butter cooked out) allow to thicken a couple of minutes serve as a side dish to your Mexican feast.

- Fry big chunks of chuck, brisket or skirt steak, add seasoning and toast. add 1 can of tomatoes and 200 mls of stock (chicken or beef). Cook for a couple of hours until meat falls apart. Remove meat from sauce and simmer rapidly until a very thick sauce is achieved add pulled beef and stir through sauce. You can use this meat in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesidialls, toquitos and under tacos.

Use it under Nachos
Nachos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :D