Wednesday 13 February 2013

ROASTED TOMATO SOUP

I have had great success in growing tomatoes this year. I still have many many more to pick. Yesterday I made two batches of stock (one chicken on beef) which I am very happy with as this morning I saw that they gelled which is a very good sign. So last night I decided that I would use some of that stock and make tomato soup.

One days harvest

INGREDIENTS
8 large beef steak tomatoes
2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon (1 tsp reserved)
1 tsp chopped fresh marjoram
1 head of garlic
olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cups chicken stock (or veggie if you prefer)
2 onions chopped\
2 tsp butter
sour cream to serve (optional)
crusty bread to serve (optional but highly recommended)

Cut tomatoes in half and sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper, tarragon and the cloves of garlic still in their paper skin. Roast in a moderate oven for 40 minutes to an hour. When the tomatoes are getting close slowly sweat off the onion in a little butter until soft add remaining tarragon and marjoram and stock and bring to boil. Remove tomatoes from oven and when cool enough to handle remove garlic from skin and add all ingredients to stock mixture. Blend with a stick mixer or blender and serve with a drizzle of olive oil a dollop of sour cream and some extra black pepper and some crusty bread.





3 comments:

  1. Yum! I will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubled the recipe for my card friends that are coming next week. Smells and tastes good to me but they will be the test...the roasting changes the color to deeper orange brown but the layers of flavor from the onion and garlic and basil really blend nicely....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it and I hope your friends do too!

      Delete

Please leave a comment :D